Samantha is the author of Before You Were Here, Mi Amor
(Viking Children's Books, 2009, illustrated by Santiago Cohen),
The Cazuela That The Farm Maiden Stirred
(Charlesbridge, 2011, illustrated by Rafael López), and three alphabet
transportation books with illustrator Ryan O'Rourke:
Alphabet Trucks (Charlesbridge, 2013),
Alphabet Trains (Charlesbridge, 2015), and
Alphabet Boats (Charlesbridge, 2017)
Before You Were Here, Mi Amor is a bilingual
children's picture book about all the things one family does to welcome a
new child into the world.
The Cazuela That The Farm Maiden Stirred is a
spicy tribute to the classic nursery rhyme "The House That Jack Built." In
this bilingual celebration and cumulative tale, a farmer and five farm animals each bring different
ingredients to the cazuela (pot) that the farm maiden stirs. Together they create a surprise recipe
that they serve at a fiesta. A glossary with pronunciation and a recipe are included.
- 2010 Washington State Book Award Winner – The Scandiuzzi Children's Book Award
- One of six books designated "Best for Babies" – Parents Magazine (May 2009)
Alphabet Trucks (2013) is a rhyming, alphabet story about
twenty-six different trucks and how they serve their communities.
Companion books include Alphabet Trains (2015) and Alphabet Boats (2017). Alphabet Trains features 26
trains from across the United States as well as around the world. Back matter provides additional detail with
respect to each of the trains.
Samantha attended Georgetown University Law Center and practiced law in Washington,
DC and Chicago, Illinois. She and her family live in Washington.
Please visit Samantha online at http://www.samanthavamos.com.
- A Pura Belpré Illustrator Award Honor Book (2012)
- A Scholastic Reading Club Selection
- A Reading Is Fundamental 2013-2014 STEAM Multicultural Booklist Selection
- An ALSC 2014 Notable Children's Recordings Selection (Live Oak Media)
- An ALSC 2012 Notable Children's Books Selection
- A CCBC Choices 2012 Title
- The Best Children's Books of the Year, 2012 (5 to 9) (Bank Street College of Education)
- Kirkus Reviews, STARRED: "A wonderful read-aloud, filled with merriment and conviviality."
- SLJ, STARRED: "The artistry of this book makes it a must buy for all libraries."
- A Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People 2012 Selection (NCSS)
- A 2012 Notable Children's Books in the Language Arts Selection (NCTE)
- A NY Public Library 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing Selection (2011)
- 2013 Monarch Award (IL K-3 Readers' Choice Award)
- A TLA "2012 Texas 2x2 Reading List" Selection
- A 2014 Grand Canyon Reader Award Nominee
- A 2012-13 Black-Eyed Susan Book Award Nominee
- A Read On Wisconsin 2011-2012 Booklist Selection
- Booklist: "An excellent choice for interactive, multilingual read-alouds"
- A Fuse #8 Production "100 Magnificent Children's Books of 2011" Selection
- A Latin Baby Book Club "Favorite Books"(2011) Selection
- Twenty by Jenny: "Jenny's 2011 Picks"